In 1881, Matthew Henry Taylor, newly elected Treasurer of the
Youghioghen River Coal Company, moved to Erie with his family. Taylor
eventually bought this property on West 6th Street and commissioned
Buffalo architecture firm, Green & Wicks, to construct a Romanesque
style home on this land. The house, now referred to as the Taylor
Mansion, was completed in 1890. Taylor continued to live in the Taylor
Mansion until his death in 1923, and his widow, Clara B. Taylor
remained in the home. Clara left the home to her children, George
Taylor, Priscilla Taylor Carstairs, and Dorothy Taylor Ferguson.
Dorothy Taylor Ferguson and her family lived in the mansion until the
American National Red Cross purchased the home in 1944.
After this purchase, the Taylor Mansion was renamed the Matthew Taylor
Red Cross House. From 1944 to 1985, the Taylor Mansion housed the local
chapter of the Red Cross. In 1985, local real estate agent, Lou
Porecco, purchased the property in hopes opening a Victorian-style
restaurant inside the home; however, his plans did not come to
fruition. In 2004, Gannon University purchased the Taylor Mansion,
renovating the home to accommodate office space.