One influential resident who gave this neighborhood its architectural
flavor was David Kennedy. Kennedy came to America in 1828 as an Irish
immigrant. He became an accomplished mason and was one of the first men
to build in all brick on any scale. In 1829, Kennedy offered to furnish
the new jail in Erie with 100,000 brick for $3.25 per thousand.
his offer was not accepted. From 1844 to 1847, he served as Director of
the Poor for the city. Starting in 1832, Kennedy began building the row
houses starting with the David Kennedy House to act as his residence.
David Kennedy House is now in use as a townhouse.
Description: The row house on 162 East 5th Street occupies
approximately two-thirds of the two-story 5 bay brick residence. This
building contains Federal architectural elements in the architrave
framing of its doorways. The row house at 430 Holland Street occupies
slightly less than half of the whole structure. The residence was
divided into two separate family units after Kennedy went bankrupt in
1879/80. A wing was also added to the rear of the building at 430
Holland Street. Both row houses are significant to the districts
historic value. His buildings in this historic district contain much of
the simplicity of the Federal architectural style.