The Federal Row Historic District consists of five Federal and Greek
Revival buildings completed between 1823 and 1840. The Kennedy Row
House, part of the Federal Row Historic District, was built by David
Kennedy, an Irish immigrant who worked in Erie as a contractor, in
1836. The structure, which is located at 158-162 East 5th Street, was
split into two homes in the 1880s and rented out to various tenants.
Attached to this structure is the David Kennedy House, which was built
in 1832, four years before the construction of the Kennedy Row House.
The David Kennedy House sits at the corner of East 5th and Holland
Streets and was home to David Kennedy and his family. Kennedy also
built the Kennedy Double House at 424-426 Holland Street in 1840. The
property was intentionally built to house two families during a time
when the City of Erie’s population was booming. In 2016, these three
National Registered properties are privately owned single-family homes.