Edinboro resident, Lewis Culbtertson, built this home in 1861.
M.M. McClaughry purchased the property in 1867, which was described as
one of Edinboro’s finest homes in the 1867 Atlas of Erie County. The
McClaughry family owned the home until 1921 when it was sold to J.
Morrison Reeder. Reeder rented the property until Aime Doucette
purchased it in 1933.
Doucette, an art instructor at Edinboro University of
Pennsylvania, and his wife, Edith, raised their seven children in the
home. Their daughter, Aimee, and her husband, Richard Rodak, owned the
home until the 1970s. The home passed through the Doucette family and
others until 2002 when brothers Forrest and Edward Doucette bought the
property and donated it to the Edinboro Area Historical Society. The
historical society, whose headquarters is at the Doucette House, uses
the house as a local museum and research facility. The restoration of
the property has been ongoing since the Doucette’s purchase of the home
in 1933. The historical society has maintained the first level of the
house as a living area with period furniture, while the upper floor is
used as an office, library, and exhibit space.