After buying 50 acres of land in Edinboro, Pennsylvania in 1836, Layton
Goodell began building multiple structures on his newly acquired land.
In 1850, Goodell constructed a small bungalow style cottage, two bank
barns, one flat barn, and a small home, called the Goodell House.
Layton worked as a blacksmith and maintained his property’s farmland.
While residing in the Goodell House, he became one of the founding
members of the Edinboro Academy, now called Edinboro University of
In 1876, George Seymore Goodell, one of Goodell’s seven children, took
ownership of the Goodell House and surrounding property. This property
would later be called the Goodell Gardens and Homestead. While owner,
George built an additional shed onto the preexisting sheep barn and
purchased more farmland. He sold the house and farmland to his youngest
son, Todd Goodell, in 1920. Under his ownership, the property became a
Todd’s daughters, Carrie and Margaret, took ownership of the farm in
1956. By 1970, both Carrie and Margaret were searching for a means to
donate their land to the Edinboro community. In their wills, the
sisters established a small fund and parameters for the donation of the
property. In 2001, the Goodell Gardens & Homestead was acquired by the
Erie Community Foundation and turned into a non-profit organization.
The 78-acre farm now serves as an education-oriented botanical garden
and arboretum. The Goodell House is now used as the welcome center for
Goodell Gardens & Homestead.